So, you’re getting ready for the big holiday weekend. Making a list and checking it twice – wait, wrong holiday. You hit the store:
- hot dogs and hamburgers – check.
- s’mores and cherry pie fixings – check.
- uber bug repellent and sunscreen – check.
- completely, absolutely legal fireworks (a.k.a. sparklers) – check.
…something I’m forgetting…
Before all the excitement begins this 4th of July weekend, take two minutes and brush up on these Red Cross safety tips. The best and safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. But if you do celebrate at home, here are five safety steps:
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
And just to be safe, download our free First Aid App.
It puts expert advice for everyday emergencies at your fingertips – even if they’re covered in melted marshmallows.